Wednesday, June 8, 2011

SUBVERTING THE KINGDOM

I live in a 12-unit apartment complex with my wife Ginny.  We love it.  A few weeks back I was speaking with our security guard Eric.  I'm not sure how many teeth Eric has all together but I'm almost certain he should have more.  I really like Eric.  I'm always learning something new about him.  For example, Eric was in an unfortunate incident the other day and his finger got badly cut.  Though he almost lost the finger that got cut, he may still have more fingers than teeth, I'm not sure.  Regardless, the finger was not looking good several days later so I told Eric we needed to take him to the doctor.  "Oh no," he said..."Eric doesn't need that man, Eric has done the work!"  He then proudly displayed the mangled finger he had sownen together with his wife's needle and thread.  I told Eric he should become the team doctor for his favorite soccer team, Orlando Pirates.  I think he thought I was being serious.

Eric loves Pirates so much that he tries to convince everyone to love them too.  He's like a Pirates evangelist.  I'm sure the Orlando Pirates aren't Eric's only purpose in life, but it made me think, what would someone blog about me?  What about my life speaks to other as a theme?   What is the message my life proclaims about what I believe and why I am here?

I think of Jesus as a fairly straightforward guy.  As I read the scriptures his message and life purpose seem clear.  Yet, not everyone feels the same.  In Luke 23 an angry religous mob complained to the authorities about Jesus.  They weren't happy because they said they "found this man subverting the kingdom."  

It was a valid complaint.  

Jesus was a subverter.  

He came to turn the kingdom of man upside down.  He opposed the social norm and worked to counter act the ways of the world.  

The people accused Jesus of attempting to subvert the kingdom they lived within.  Would people accuse you of something similar?  It seems that if the spirit of God lives in us, we are here with that same purpose - to subvert the kingdom and proclaim the eternal kingdom here and now.

I've decided, that's what I want to be, a subverter.  What about you?

~ SDG

1 comment:

  1. How is it, Aaron? Nice to see doing great in Christ and seeing you married. Is Doctor Mabila, the one you mentored at UCT and then I went to play for Wits. We use to hang around together with Trevor,Mike Alford, We held talks in UCT with Leah Ford 's group in my residence. Check out your impact you did in my life. work website www.youthzones.co.za, my personal blog http;//docmabila.blogspot.com or face book name doc mabila or skype name dmabila. Here are my number 0786359151 or 0724311451. Thanks for everything champ. I work all over africa.

    ReplyDelete